Our online tutored British Sign Language Level 1 course follows the iBSL accredited course structure. You will learn a range of signs such as people, pets, work and so on. You will also learn how to use sign language correctly so you can have a variety of discussions using BSL.
Is this course for beginners?
Absolutely! This course has been designed to help those taking their first steps into learning BSL or for those who want to practice the basics again.
Why learn BSL?
Do you have a deaf friend or family member you want to sign with?
Are you starting to lose your hearing and want another way to communicate?
Do you want to widen your career opportunities?
Do you want to communicate with a deaf colleague at work?
There are many reasons to learn sign language.
BSL is the preferred language of over 80,000 deaf people in the UK. There is also a rich Deaf Culture associated with sign language. Our course helps you learn the basics of BSL so you can create value in those moments when you meet a deaf person.
All our tutors are deaf (native) sign language users who collectively have over 50 years of experience teaching students with little or no experience of sign language. Our BSL tutors will be able to help you grasp the basics and enable you to experience real-life conversations in BSL!
This extensive, interactive course together with tutor support helps you master fundamental conversational skills in BSL.
The course comprises of:
- Online tutorial sessions with one of our tutors via Zoom
- BSL video clips
- PDF worksheets to help you revise
- Monthly face to face classroom-based sessions (class sizes will be small to ensure we can adhere to strict social-distancing measures).
Learning BSL will:
- Transform your role in enabling and supporting a more open, inclusive society
- Enable you to express yourself more confidently
- Make a difference to those around you
- Online and paper-based resources to support your learning
- Deaf tutor
- 56 guided learning hours
- 24 hours self-study
Duration: 20 weeks
Date: 01 September 2020
*Fees can be paid by monthly direct debit*